Saturday, August 11, 2012

Paint Reveal and Furniture Quandary



If you remember, I got my main living area painted back in June. The dark tan color has been a huge improvement to the light yellow I had been living with for the last ten years. I had my painter paint my armoire black and a little sofa table black for me as well. And I got some lamps and a little table for next to my green chair. Finally, I got my family pictures made into canvases (thank you Groupon!) and hung some other things on the walls that had been sitting around for ages.

Here is the before of the paint in the kitchen:



And the after:


 

Here is the armoire before it got painted (the wood felt too light with my dark wood floors):


Remember this huge chandelier canvas Ashley bought at TJ Maxx in California and I was so jealous?

Well, An exact copy showed up on my door at Christmas time from a very generous friend.  It finally found a home over my stairs:


Here is what my house looked like in the process...check out the old yellow color.  (Thank you to some very kind men in my ward (David, Tyler, and Jamie) who came over and moved all of my crap to the middle of the room)



Thank you to my dad for hanging everything. He holds himself out as a master hanger. He is a perfectionist and wouldn't rest until he was convinced everything was perfect. He also loves to curse the "Phi Beta Kappas" who put the frames together the wrong way:

The Finished living room (I moved the pictures of my kids to that wall because I added the one of Buster):


Back to the family room.  The question is--What do I do about the big plaid chair and the coffee table?


Neither one goes with my currect decor. Recovering the big chair will cost as much as getting a new one. Is it worth it recovering it because it is huge and two people can sit in it? Or do I spring for a cute one like this:

 

What about the coffee table? My kids lay on it to watch tv. I would love a big, soft ottoman instead. I saw this one on Target.com for about 300 bones. (Don't worry..If I do that chair, I won't do this ottoman.)

 Pretty great deal. Would they thrash it? My friend has a huge square red leather one..would that be a better option?

Talk to me people.

14 comments:

SewSara said...

i loooove the couches in your front room! your house is really cute. ottomans do get thrashed. we have a cheap one from target and i really want a new one. my sis-in-law has a nice upholstered one at her house and it seems like it's holding up well ...?

Jaime said...

Put the plaid chair on Craigslist or downstairs! It's lived a good life, now get rid of that beast. The tufted chair is a nice replacement, says me.

Liz said...

Sorry I haven't been commenting lately. Haven't been at a computer for more than 2 seconds at a time. Your living room is stunning right now. The pillows with the couches are superb. And the canvases! Where did you do that? I want to do the same.

A comfy ottoman will make you happy.

Ashley said...

That big plaid chair is out of style and I'm the only one who will tell it to you straight. I know it's true because I have an enormous Volkswagen sized chair just like it (that I bought bc you had that bad boy) and I hate it and I try to keep it hidden in my bedroom. A cute chair like you pictured would be darling and go and be timeless. I got a big (faux I assume) leather ottomon at Target for $100 a couple years ago and the kids lay/jump all over it and it just wipes down. I say for now go nice on a new chair and cheap if you must on an ottoman. Or keep the table but you might need to paint the top.

I love your kids' big pictures. I wish I had those. Maybe I can do them at age 5 or something since I missed the bus at 2. Darling.

The paint looks really good. It's actually hard to see a big difference on my computer but in real life there is a big difference and it's much cozier now.

Ashley said...

Just looked at the picture again--you could totally get away with keeping that coffee table if you paint the top white.

Stephanie said...

Brooke! I'm sad I missed the other day :-( The Zoo was AWESOME though.. Haha

Anywho, totally replace the chair and then eventually hold out for a more updated "industrialish" table.. You can find them pretty cheap. That will make that room done and done. It looks amazing so far!!

Hope you're doing well!

Jen and her men said...

Brooke, your home is adorable! I love how everything is coming together! Your kitchen chairs are my favorite. Such cute fabric! I definitely think you should paint the coffee table (that red/coral color would be awesome!) and spend the money on a chair. Or just sell the plaid chair and leave the space empty until you find something you love. I'll help you paint the table yourself if you want. Love your family pictures too. Jill is awesome and you have a beautiful family! The canvases look fabulous. So, so, so cute!

The DeVito's said...

I love the new paint! I used to have a big square leather ottoman that had storage under it. If we had a bigger house I would still have it. I loved that thing but it was TOO big for our tiny house.

Jill T said...

I love the canvases and the new home for the kids pictures in the front room! Cant wait to see it all in person! And I love the new chair you're thinking about too.

Heather said...

Splurge on the chair and my mom can help you make an ottoman for cheap. True story...

Shavanna said...

I have to agree, the plaid chair is very jarring when you look at the the rest of the beautiful decor around it. You could refinish the coffee table if you love it and do it black like the big piece. You will make a great decision I'm sure, you seem to have an eye for color and detail. Love the tan and the kitchen wow a beautiful and stark contrast.

Pandy said...

I hadn't noticed before seeing these pics, but our new house has similar coloring - dark wood floors, white cabinets - and similar stairway. I love the contrast of black and white - and I'm using bright greens and oranges and brown/black. I love your living room colors and agree with Ash about the chair. There are so many cute chairs out there - check out HomeGoods. Sometimes they have some surprisingly cute ones.

Andrea said...

I love the paint! Everything looks awesome. New paint makes everything feel new. My vote is spring for a new chair. Can't wait to see what the decision is...

Emily Redd said...

I agree...spend the money on the chair. Paint can change the look of anything!! I say paint the coffee table....we have some red ottoman that we purchased at the RC Willey outlet (who knows if that store even exists anymore?) that is completely thrashed!! It looks horrid in my family room but I haven't even seen one yet that that I like...let me know your finds! I also need new couches...well let's be honest my whole fam room needs updating!! Since I was just at your house the other day I think it is coming together so darling! I love what you did w/ your kitchen chairs and I might need to copy....I would totally need help though! My kitchen chairs are just another thing in my house that are now THRASHED...twins do that to you!