Saturday, September 12, 2009

Top 10 Signs the Husband is Out of Town

Sam is in beautiful Oklahoma City at a Federal Bar Association Conference. By the time you all read this, he'll be back--so you crazy raper/murderer types--don't get any ideas.

10. I stay up really late. I don't know what the correlation is with Sam being gone, but there definitely is one.

9. My diet coke consumption goes way up. Notice the three fountain diet cokes in the fridge that I nurse on all day:


8. A fire alarm in my home has been beeping every 30 seconds or so. It's enough to drive a woman mad. But it's really high and I can't even reach it on our highest ladder. It started beeping the night he left.

7. I actually sit down and watch tv. On Wednesday evening, I thoroughly enjoyed both of these shows:



I'm not usually a big tv watcher so this was a big deal for me. I want to be Cat Deeley in my next life.

6. My bed looks like this every morning:


I am not a sleep in the middle of the bed, go crazy with the covers type. I sleep in my spot and never move.

5. The house is remarkably clean. I don't know what this says about who the source of the mess really is. I always mistakenly thought it was our children.

4. Purchases are made with no guilt.



3. I have to haul all three of my kids to the mall to do a return at the Gap. Usually I can go after they are in bed but with Sam gone, if I'm gonna go, they have to go too. This picture says it all about the experience:


We ate girl food at Nordstrom Cafe. Oh Crab Bisque--how you speak to me.

2. I feel all warm and fuzzy toward Sam. I took a wander through Victoria Secret but the feeling was short lived. The kids immediately did this:


1. I call him at least 12 times a day out of complete boredom and beg him to entertain me over the phone. That sounded bad. I just beg him to tell me what he is eating, doing, etc. Turns out, at the conference there is a drawing with some pretty big prizes. Sam won airfare for me to join him at his next conference in New Orleans next year. So maybe having him gone was worth it!

23 comments:

sheryl said...

you mean three fountain drinks plus 12 cans! Love the Victoria Secret picture. ....something for everyone! New Orleans is one place I have always wanted to go. I am jealous! When Stan is gone I eat and watch tv till I fall asleep...its the only time except for the crazy shows you hooked me on...and I missed the final show! (Bachelorette)

Jen and her men said...

ha!ha! my list is almost identical! and ditto on the house part. what does that say? as for going with sam to new orleans...since he'll be working, I think you'd better take me too so we can play!! glad he gets home soon. read my email and call me!

leandparkermakes3 said...

Oh, Brooke, you make me laugh! Our lists are almost identical (except for the mess part, Josh is the clean one around here!)

Jill said...

A beeping fire alarm is one of the things that can make me mental in no time!

I'm confused about the non TV watching when Sam is home. Does this mean you two spend your evenings wrapped in each others' arms whispering sweet nothings rather than camped out on the couch watching shows? If so, I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Ashley said...

So true all of it. I love the two pictures of the kids at the mall. It looks so painful with all three kids! Luke in the bra is classic. Dino is all grown up. How fun that you get to go to New Orleans!

Raderstorf Family said...

I agree with the clean house...I too had to learn that no it is not the children that make the messes.

Anonymous said...

Brooke, Love your blog. You are so funny! Whenever Adam is out of town, I stay up way too late too. Why is that? Great list.

Liz said...

I'm loving Glee...what a great show. As for Cat Deely, she is on Bill's list of woman he could get with if it was ever possible (you know it's not). As for Victoria Secret, when Parker was 4, he assaulted some fishnet mannequin legs. My house is WAY cleaner when Bill isn't home...strange!

Amy M. said...

I love the kids and bras photo!
I totally stay up late when Micah's gone too. I can't figure out the correlation either. All it does is make me grumpier at my kids the next day.
I know what you mean about running the stinking errands with all three kids as opposed to a quick nighttime trip.
I have a major girl crush on Cat Deeley. I want to be her too.
Cute purchases!

Amy said...

I learned early on NEVER to take my kids into Victoria Secret. I call Landon a ton when he's out of town too. Way more than when he's just at work. What's up with that?

Travelin'Oma said...

Taking kids to the mall is like child birth. You vow you'll never do it again, but eventually you forget, and think "How bad could it be? I'll try it." Then you get in the middle of it and remember, "This is actually one gigantic pain!!!" I loved the Victoria Secret shot!

melissa walker said...

My kids are actually really good when their dad is gone--lots of bribing, candy and McDonald's going on makes them very happy! I stay up late and "putter" without getting anything done!

Eliza said...

Awesome, Diet Coke and a trip for the future. Way to go!

Em said...

I'm with ya on No. 6. I've narrowed it down to my years sleeping in a twin, 'cause I cannot take advantage of the queen when Chuche's away.

Love the red frame, love this post. Your kids are gonna die when they're older and see the pics trying on bras in Vickie's.

Jill T said...

Ok, weird! Steven went out of town last weekend and a day into it OUR smoke detector started beeping too.

Lauri said...

Brooke...been waiting to see a comment from you about the Taylor Swift/Kanye West episode...what a total JERK!!!

nic said...

I love it. I have always wondered why I stay up late when my hubby is gone. Maybe it is because I am scared to go to bed.

Corinne said...

i am cracking up right now especially about the diet coke. when rob travels i almost consider getting a pick line with diet coke to keep me going. it is my saving grace! love the pictures of the kids trying on the bras. camree puts my bra on and tells me she is putting on her boobs! and dido on the fire alarm i had to deal with the light burned out in my laundry room for a week while rob was gone because i wasn't about to change it.

Linde said...

I love the Diet Cokes in the fridge. We all have somethting that gets us through. :)

Julie said...

Girl!! We are the same woman!! EVERYTHING you wrote is EXACTLY how I am when Justin is gone!!! Although is can be fun to have them gone for a little bit. It also can be boring too. Justin and I talk on the phone so much it gets annoying. But the really nice part is, it it so easy to make the bed the next morning!!!

Julie said...

Oh and one more thing. How do the fire alarms know when our husbands are gone??? It is annoying!

jacey said...

My toilet knows when my husband is gone- always clogs.

Kristen said...

You are so funny. I love all the diet cokes in the fridge. Your kids are so cute. It's nice to know it's that painful at the mall with your kids too.