Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This is How We Roll

A typical trip to the grocery store goes something like this:

Step 1: Forget the reusable grocery bags you were so proud you bought. They stay in the trunk of your car.

Step 2: Get all of the kids in the cart. Sammie and Luke insist on the car cart even though they are stuffed in there like sardines.


Step 3: Hit the bakery where your kids get free cookies. The lady will only give you two and you ask for a third for the baby. She looks at you skeptically. She then asks if you want a small one for him. Say no and take a large one. He eats the whole thing.


Step 4: Let the kids peruse the cake book. This is very important. They need to discuss what cake they will order for their birthday even if it is months away.


Step 5: Stumble upon these little beauties. Buy one with the intention of eating it a little at a time over the next few days. (Take it home and eat it like an apple in one sitting.)


Step 6: Load up the cart with milk, eggs, cookies and candy. (When you get home you will wonder why you have nothing to make for dinner.)

Step 7: Let the kids run though the front of the store while you check-out. Act like you don't know whose they are--hence no pictures.

Step 8: Head to the car. When you get home, leave the groceries in the car for at least three hours until you remember they are there.

The end.

14 comments:

Liz said...

Free cookies at Harmon's Bakery...WHAT? They have never given my children cookies. I feel jipped!
Yea, I spent $100 on groceries yesterday and seriously will just make quessadillas for dinner.

Ashley said...

I love the cart full of your kids. And Dino absolutely deserves a big cookie! (No sharing a Hot Ham and Cheese for him!) I remember perusing the cake book as a child. Lately my grocery store bane is that I get distracted by the Easter junk and whatever toy Charlie has glummed onto and then forget what I went there for. I remember as I'm checking out but that is far too late to turn around.

Amy said...

Ahh, I remember those days. Now I get to go all alone, and it's actually enjoyable. Okay, as enjoyable as grocery shopping is.

However, if I ever take Kennedy to the store, even if we're only grabbing 1 or 2 things she tries to cram into one of those cart things.

lindsey said...

The cart o' kids is adorable and the chocolate looks DIVINE. Yummy! I love this post!

Sam said...

I have always enjoyed wandering the grocery store aisles aimlessly, especially on a weekend evening. It is like a drive through the country side.

It is in those quiet moments that I succomb to discounted items and purchase 200 protein bars or 10 bags of pretzel twists. I prefer a low traffic location like Harmons as opposed to Walmart or Costco.

Christie said...

Ah, that was me about three years ago. Now I have the luxury of going there by myself in the middle of the day. It really is delightful.

Linda said...

Are those kids cute enough???

Kelly said...

You kill me! With me, I go to the grocery store only after throwing a complete fit because Dave isn't home to go. It's only out of complete necessity. No i don't cook, grocery shop or anything else domestic (poor Dave) Last time we both went, we spent 50 dollars, got home and had one thing for us (chips) and the rest was food for Bailey. HUH?

Bonnie said...

I could relate to every one of those! I remember when the boys were smaller how exhausting it was. I could just picture the bakery lady giving you a skeptical look about the cookie, very funny.

leandparkermakes3 said...

This is the story of my life. Bless Harmon's heart for the free cookies or we would never survive the store.

Linde said...

So true. I go to the store, buy eggs, milk and a treat, get home to nothing to make for dinner! :) So funny to see you eat treats like apples too!

Marni Bown said...

Those cookies are my lifesaver bribery to get my boys actually excited about an "errand." That word results only in whining.

Kelly said...

I refuse to go anywhere with three kids, no matter how bad we want dinner. I seriously didn't cross the grocery store threshold for January and February.

sheryl said...

How did I miss this post. Such cute kids!!!!
I used to do my grocery shopping between the news and Johnny Carson...between Ben and Shellys feedings. The only treats were MINE!