Today I turn 33. I know. It is sooo exciting. Especially when it's a Thursday and I'm a mom and still have to do all the same old mom things. But I'm not complaining. I have a great life, with great kids (who drive me crazy) and a handsome husband who pays the bills.
In keeping with tradition, I'm adding 33 more things about me to the 32 Sam wrote last year and the 100 I wrote when I started my blog. Without further ado:
1. I detest wire hangers.
2. My favorite lunches involve some combination of soup, salad and a sandwich with a girly dessert like a mint brownie and a big diet coke.
3. I love Cher. I love every movie she ever made and every song she ever sang. I love her attitude, I love her clothing even during the 80s and 90s when it was extra crazy and risque and I love that she refused to be on Dancing with the Stars "because (she) has an Oscar for ---sake!"
4. I do not like talking on the phone but I've learned if I'm dreading making a call to just get 'er done.
5. My car is a garbage can on wheels.
6. My purse is a garbage can with straps.
7. I'm very anal about keeping my kids' rooms clean. Go figure.
8. This little boy has broken my spirit the last two years. Yet, I'm madly in love with him.
9. I only watch three shows right now--the Real Housewives of New York (not as good as the OC,) Damages, and Brothers and Sisters.
10. I love Brothers and Sisters because the relationship between the two sisters and the mom totally remind me of me and Ashley and my mom.
11. My favorite part of being pregnant is parking in the expected mother parking without shame.
12. My least favorite part is having my pants sagging down all the time (and being huge.)
13. Since my water has broken spontaneously with all three of my previous pregnancies, I keep a beach towel with me at all times in my last month of pregnancy.
14. I love polka dots.
15. I believe all baby showers should be open house style--drop off gift, grab a plate of food, chat, leave. No games, no 3 hour obligations, no advice. That's just me. I also believe showers should only be given for a woman's first baby. I know I'm not making any friends with that statement.
16. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was buying all navy blue appliances when I got married--toaster, kitchen aid mixer, blender, can opener, etc. I'm so over navy blue in my kitchen. I'm dying to buy this metallic red kitchen aid but I know I'll regret it in three years. Every appliance from here on out will be stainless.
17. I will never ever wear socks with capris. I have trained Sammie never to do it either. Once in the dressing room at Dillards, an older lady asked my opinion on some capris she was trying on with socks. I told her I liked the capris but encouraged her to only wear sandals with them and not socks. I felt like I had done a little good in the world that day.
18. I believe in taking short-cuts when cleaning.
My friend Carolyn A. just gave me these for my birthday--she knows me too well.
19. I consider the full-body mole check to be 10x worse than a trip to the OBGYN.
20. My favorite treats all involve dark chocolate and mint. Think Mrs. Cavanaugh's dark chocolate Mindi Mint eggs at Easter, Fernwood's dark chocolate mint sandwiches at Christmas and the Utah truffle (yes there is such a thing and it is delicious!) year round.
21. If I ever move, the most important feature in my next home will be a decent sized mud room with lockers.
22. I'm highly intimidated by the post office. I would love to start selling things on ebay but the thought of mailing out my wares holds me back.
23. I also intend to sell a bunch of stuff on Craig's list. Then I get lazy and just end up giving it all away.
24. I've never left an anonymous comment on any blog. I believe strongly in owning what you put out into the blogosphere.
25. I hate jazz music.
26. I get very uncomfortable at restaurants when a musician approaches my table and performs for our group. Do we tip? Do we have to stop talking and listen? Awkward.
27. I have a very hard time not spending coupons (ex: friends and family at the Gap, Gymbucks, etc.) I get this from my mom.
28. I love black and white together for clothing. I have six black and white skirts.
29. I don't believe in fad diets, diet pills, or diets in general. The word "diet" immediately makes me feel ravenous.
30. In the last five years, I've developed a fear of open water like oceans and large lakes. This is in addition to my obscene fear of birds.
31. I love taking the time to wrap a gift beautifully. I also appreciate receiving a beautifully wrapped gift.
32. My favorite gifts from Sam are cards with meaningful written messages (he hates doing this!) and massages--nothing kinky, just like a great food rub.
33. I believe that adults should lower their expectations for birthdays. With that said, I also believe you have to take the matter into your own hands. I plan my own birthday dinner, get my own babysitter, book my own spa treatments and buy my own gifts. I don't want to be let-down and I never am!
Here's to another great year!
ps. If you really want to hear some nitty-gritty about me, my sister Ashley did a birthday "tribute" to me on her blog. Check it out here.