Thursday, March 18, 2010

33 More for my 33rd Birthday

Today I turn 33. I know. It is sooo exciting. Especially when it's a Thursday and I'm a mom and still have to do all the same old mom things. But I'm not complaining. I have a great life, with great kids (who drive me crazy) and a handsome husband who pays the bills.

In keeping with tradition, I'm adding 33 more things about me to the 32 Sam wrote last year and the 100 I wrote when I started my blog. Without further ado:

1. I detest wire hangers.

2. My favorite lunches involve some combination of soup, salad and a sandwich with a girly dessert like a mint brownie and a big diet coke.


3. I love Cher. I love every movie she ever made and every song she ever sang. I love her attitude, I love her clothing even during the 80s and 90s when it was extra crazy and risque and I love that she refused to be on Dancing with the Stars "because (she) has an Oscar for ---sake!"


4. I do not like talking on the phone but I've learned if I'm dreading making a call to just get 'er done.

5. My car is a garbage can on wheels.

6. My purse is a garbage can with straps.


7. I'm very anal about keeping my kids' rooms clean. Go figure.

8. This little boy has broken my spirit the last two years. Yet, I'm madly in love with him.


9. I only watch three shows right now--the Real Housewives of New York (not as good as the OC,) Damages, and Brothers and Sisters.

10. I love Brothers and Sisters because the relationship between the two sisters and the mom totally remind me of me and Ashley and my mom.


11. My favorite part of being pregnant is parking in the expected mother parking without shame.


12. My least favorite part is having my pants sagging down all the time (and being huge.)

13. Since my water has broken spontaneously with all three of my previous pregnancies, I keep a beach towel with me at all times in my last month of pregnancy.

14. I love polka dots.

15. I believe all baby showers should be open house style--drop off gift, grab a plate of food, chat, leave. No games, no 3 hour obligations, no advice. That's just me. I also believe showers should only be given for a woman's first baby. I know I'm not making any friends with that statement.

16. One of the biggest mistakes of my life was buying all navy blue appliances when I got married--toaster, kitchen aid mixer, blender, can opener, etc. I'm so over navy blue in my kitchen. I'm dying to buy this metallic red kitchen aid but I know I'll regret it in three years. Every appliance from here on out will be stainless.


17. I will never ever wear socks with capris. I have trained Sammie never to do it either. Once in the dressing room at Dillards, an older lady asked my opinion on some capris she was trying on with socks. I told her I liked the capris but encouraged her to only wear sandals with them and not socks. I felt like I had done a little good in the world that day.



18. I believe in taking short-cuts when cleaning.


My friend Carolyn A. just gave me these for my birthday--she knows me too well.

19. I consider the full-body mole check to be 10x worse than a trip to the OBGYN.

20. My favorite treats all involve dark chocolate and mint. Think Mrs. Cavanaugh's dark chocolate Mindi Mint eggs at Easter, Fernwood's dark chocolate mint sandwiches at Christmas and the Utah truffle (yes there is such a thing and it is delicious!) year round.

21. If I ever move, the most important feature in my next home will be a decent sized mud room with lockers.


22. I'm highly intimidated by the post office. I would love to start selling things on ebay but the thought of mailing out my wares holds me back.

23. I also intend to sell a bunch of stuff on Craig's list. Then I get lazy and just end up giving it all away.

24. I've never left an anonymous comment on any blog. I believe strongly in owning what you put out into the blogosphere.

25. I hate jazz music.

26. I get very uncomfortable at restaurants when a musician approaches my table and performs for our group. Do we tip? Do we have to stop talking and listen? Awkward.

27. I have a very hard time not spending coupons (ex: friends and family at the Gap, Gymbucks, etc.) I get this from my mom.


28. I love black and white together for clothing. I have six black and white skirts.


29. I don't believe in fad diets, diet pills, or diets in general. The word "diet" immediately makes me feel ravenous.

30. In the last five years, I've developed a fear of open water like oceans and large lakes. This is in addition to my obscene fear of birds.

31. I love taking the time to wrap a gift beautifully. I also appreciate receiving a beautifully wrapped gift.

32. My favorite gifts from Sam are cards with meaningful written messages (he hates doing this!) and massages--nothing kinky, just like a great food rub.

33. I believe that adults should lower their expectations for birthdays. With that said, I also believe you have to take the matter into your own hands. I plan my own birthday dinner, get my own babysitter, book my own spa treatments and buy my own gifts. I don't want to be let-down and I never am!

Here's to another great year!

ps. If you really want to hear some nitty-gritty about me, my sister Ashley did a birthday "tribute" to me on her blog. Check it out here.

44 comments:

Allison P. said...

Brooke - I came across your blog about a year ago and it has become one of my favorites. Whenever I see something new in "I wanna talk about me," the voice in my head says, "Okay, I wanna talk about you too." I could have used some of your hilarious commentary in law school. Anyway, I hope you have a great birthday!
Allison (Cassell) Pomeroy

melissa walker said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! You deserve a great day and I am with you in making sure your best day happens! Enjoy your day!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!

Dave & Kami said...

Brooke, you are so cute! Love the 33 things about you. Hope you have the best day! Happy birthday!

lindsey said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!!!

I hope you have a WONDERFUL day!

I love the list...and your lunch entry is PERFECT!

Jill said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!!!

I share many of the items on your list, especially hating jazz!

Have a great day!

Jen and her men said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! I know it will be perfect! (love Carolyn's gift to you!!)

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

katie said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!
Milk it for all you can!

Ashley said...

Hilarious list! My favs are the garbage can on wheels and the garbage can on a strap. It's great that you love Cher, and now I want to watch Brothers and Sisters. Happy Birthday! I hope you really did book a babysitter this afternoon. Weekday birthdays with kids are less than thrilling! You'll have to do a post about Brooke's birthday gifts to Brooke.

Mandee said...

Thank you for #33- I have so much to learn from you! Happy Birthday Brooke- may 33 be your best year so far!

Kimmie said...

that's the brookie i know!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND!!!!

Jill T said...

Happy Birthday Brooke. I can't wait to hear what Sam's plans are. And your plans for yourself! It's been so fun being in touch regularly over the last several years! Everybody loves you! Hope it's a great day!

Molly said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! (I'm Tyler's sister.) I just had to comment on the baby showers. I can't stand games at showers. I agreed to help be the "MC" at my friend's shower because the actual shower host was 38 weeks pregnant and a bit shy. Turns out I ended up having to orchestrate 4 games. 4! People commented on how well I did organizing the games and such and I just wanted to yell "It wasn't me! I wouldn't have planned games!"

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday! I read Ashley's list and I am dying to know which teachers' bathroom!

gwen said...

Happy, happy birthday! I discovered the "taking my birthday into my hands" thing last year, and had a perfect day....it's the only way to go. Sure love you!

sarahw said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!! I hope you have a great birthday week and some nice cake. Your kids are absolutely adorable, but birthdays are better kid free.

Alison Carvalho said...

Happy Birthday Brooke!
I turned 33 yesterday! I didn't realize that we are just a day apart. Maybe that's why we carpooled to the drivers ed course at Brighton . . . we turned 16 at the same time. Do you remember that? Funny. Have a great day!

alexandra said...

Happy Birthday! I love that your car and purse are just alternate forms of garbage cans. Because that makes me feel better about my own versions including but not limited to purses and cars. I think you are one of the funniest bloggers out there.

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday Brooke! Congrats on turning 33. I love your list and I hope Sam give you a non kinky massage and a lot of gift vouchers.
Ex

madsenhut said...

Brooke, I hope you have a fabulous birthday, eat lots of dark chocolate and get many thrilling presents. Next time I'm in town I plan to bring you some Lake Champlain dark chocolate mint coins--you'll never go back to that other stuff. Love your list! You are so entertaining. All of my best!

Stephanie Eldredge said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy BrOoKe!!! :) Hope you are having a great day! (I can bring over some Benadryl to help you get your kids to bed earlier) haha ;) j.k.

I am so jealous that I missed out on #11. I think they need to have Reserved Parking For Expectant Mothers at the Manti Temple Pageant or for Jazz games...places that actually require walking past more than 5 or 6 cars. I'm glad people are finally figuring this out--I think they should add "3rd trimester" to the sign too. If you don't have a baby bump you shouldn't be there. haha. :)

As for #15 and the baby showers, I agree mostly. Perhaps exceptions need to be made for people who live outside of Utah. I think they need more encouragement. Also, I think a shower comes in handy when you have a child of the opposite sex. But please no games! :D

#16...I don't know Brooke, I'm digging the red!

#17...I am guessing that only people with cute feet/toes would feel that way. Seriously, did you check out that ladies feet? Maybe you would have changed your mind. lol.

I loved #32--how you said you liked "massages, nothing kinky, just a great FOOD rub." That sounds pretty kinky. ;)

As for #33...Amen! I am finding that is the key to getting through another birthday--my mom has mastered this concept!

Love you Brooke!

nic said...

Happy Birthday. Hopefully you planned a great day for yourself. You deserve it.

Em said...

Anyone who hates birds as much as I do is a friend indeed.

So happy we are blogging friends.

Happy happy happy birthday!!!

Stephanie said...

Cher haunts me...I don't get it. Ü haha

Liz said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day. Sorry...I have nothing cute or witty to say, but I love your lists.

The DeVito's said...

Happy Birthday! I knew there was a reason I liked you - I agreed with you on 20+ of those statements.

Reximus said...

Brookie, Steve Mikida called, he said you just earned yourself a date with a guy in a chicken costume. Must be code.

Aside from Stuck on You (did she win her Oscar for that?) Cher has been a train wreck since her days with Sonny Bono.

The Mostess said...

I like the down 'n' dirty list by Ashley...this is also a strong birthday contender.

Wire hangers..how very Joan Crawford of you, Mommy Dearest.

We can't be lunch friends, because I can't eat any of that crap.

My car, purse, and clothing are all a garbage can on wheels.

Brothers and Sisters? More like Lame and Boring. But I still like you.

Jazz=kill me now.

I'm currently watching Michael Jackson's This Is It right now--how fitting. Happy birthday!!

Jessica said...

Happy birthday yesterday Brooke! It's been a while since we bowled... but I have become a huge fan of your blog! And I also love black and white skirts, I agree that baby showers should only be for the first baby, and I love dark chocolate and mint! Good luck with your pregnancy. (I hate the saggy pants also!)

Stephanie said...

I love the Jazz=kill me now...so on with that! True love=going to the Jazz game with my hubby once! Don't ask me again!!! :)

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday! I really love your blog. I have had a super busy day with a trip to Costco and the Aquarium (I think that says it all) and I came home with half a box of Cheez it mix hoping you would have a post that would make me laugh! Mission accomplished! I finished off the box and laughed a lot! You are truly the best! I am glad to have you for a friend.

Linde said...

I am so with you on the mud room in the next house! Hope you had a happy day!

Linda said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Brookie!! Can't believe my feisty little "Brookie" is 33!! Glad I get credit for at least one attribute - the coupons!!
LOVE YOU, BROOKIE - I'm so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I forgot about your fear of birds! It is one of my favorite things about you! Happy Birthday, Girlie! Hope you had the best day ever!

-Lori J.

sheryl said...

Happy Belated b-day! (Am I with-in a week...Sams Blog last year) And speaking of Sams wonderful blog about you... do you still check the phone before bed? I am glad you are still blogging. When I am done with the day... wheather that means physically or mentally, it is great to tune in for a smile. It was great to see you this past week. Your blog has made me feel so much closer to you .... and like a stalker! :) You are awesome! I can't wait to see your paint color and kitchen done. I am ready to redo my house. Your mom gave me your paint chip. I love it!

sheryl said...

as for the rest of your blog... and Ashleys...
I agree... no wire hangers. I once tried to color cordinate everyones clothes on their own color... not a good idea, the colors of the hangers change. I couldn't buy enough to match the second time around and I went crazy when anyone would hung up something using the wrong color. Why would my kids say I am anal? hmmmm.... Cher? Really? no Really? wow! I am sorry. :) Stainless and or white will be long lasting for appliances. What happened to make you afraid of open water? I agree with you on birthdays so much so that my poor kids feel neglected. Oh, you said adults... well it has to start somewhere. Poor Scott was forgotten more than remembered. One year he sang happy birthday to me happy birthday to me before I caught on. (the truth is out why my kids are....) I see no Jim Carrey, but could see you beating up the boys! My Noa is as feisty as you were! I saw a temper tantrum when you were three "ish" and was shocked! It was worse than any horror movie to a young newly married girl thinking about having a baby. :) I should have taken you more often, maybe I would have an easier life now! I have decided all kids give their parents a run for their money so count your blessings if your pick when they are young to do it. Your other posts are great too. I have to say, Ryan does make a good Kayla. I think we all now have a blackmail photo. And... maternity mysteries .... I like a great belly shot, if the model has a pretty belly. My tights from 1980 are just not the same. I would still choose natural childbirth. My other was waaaaaayyyy worse! I agree with home not schooling. I think the kids need the socialization. But I see good kids come out of the home school setting. I wonder how they are when they are 40. Do they hit a mid-life crises? As a side note, Do you realize the Amish "encourage" their youth to sew their oats ...before getting baptized at age 16? Do you realize I have rambled enough to make up for and beyond all the weeks I have missed!

So again,
Happy Belated Birthday.

sheryl said...

Isn't there some unspoken rule about how long a post should be?

Sorry.

Megan said...

I forgot about the fear of birds!!!

Just now remembering our senior trip and going to the San Diego zoo with that huge, multi-storied bird cage, and making you run through it, totally hysterical. Good times.

I am loving having three kids, though am wondering how anyone manages more, but I thought that about two when I had a newborn. Can't wait for you to have four and tell me how easy it is. Been thinking of you a lot and how you make it all look so easy so here's to me doing the same.

Super happy birthday. Hopefully one of these days I can actually see you again and you can impart your much-loved wisdom in person. Hope you do something awesome, regardless of who planned it!

Your blog is always a highlight of my day. Love that you update it regularly. Don't stop when you have another baby.

Marni Bown said...

It's so funny because I am not a big phone talker either but for some reason when I get you on the phone I chat! I have loved email and texting for that exact purpose..is that so bad? happy bday!

Natalie Wright said...

Happy belated birthday old friend! Can't wait to see more posts about the home makeover!

Jaime said...

How did I miss this? Happy Birthday! Hope you celebrated well - what did you get yourself?

Love the new banner! Atta girl!

Anonymous said...

I am turning 33 today. I am a man and decided to take the day off. I will be planting 1000 or so trees today just so I can say I planted them on my 33rd birthday. I looked up your site just to make sure there wasn't anything I should be doing on my 33rd..

Unknown said...

Checking in on you after a long hiatus. I too hate/am scared to death of birds. They are out to get me. Sorry to hear about your divorce. Marriage sure is hard!

Glad to hear that you aren't the only one that let's your toddler wander during sacrament. I'm sure I drive everyone else nuts but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Cheap shoes stink!

We have the same birth gender order I think. Boy, girl, boy, boy.

Peace out.