Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner


It's no secret that Ryan (affectionately refered to at our house as "Dino" pronounced "Dee-no") has not been an easy baby. He is always sick (started life in the NICU, constant ear infections, tubes, sinus infections, etc), high maintence, likes to be held, loves to nurse, won't take a bottle, chubby (Okay, wait--that's a plus in my book!) and loves to sleep with me. Someday I'll do a really disturbing post where I will show pictures of my distorted body from holding a fat baby on my left hip all day long. But I'll spare you tonight.

Just when I thought this baby couldn't get any worse--he went out and totally redeemed himself. Overnight, he became adorable. He waves, he giggles, he does pattycake, he crawls with his big bum in the air, he cruises along furniture--he is so happy to have his freedom--he doesn't need me to hold him anymore. I couldn't be happier.

His pants are always undone--did I mention he's really chubby?

But the freedom comes at a price. He is into EVERYTHING. He has a sixth sense for the forbidden spots--the computer printer, Sammie's beloved dollhouse, and the bathrooms. If there is ever a quiet moment I immediately say "where is Dino?" and we all start looking for him in one of these spots.






I'd be mad if he wasn't so dang cute.

Then there is "the kiss." He gets really serious, takes my face in his hands and lays the sloppiest, wettest, softest kiss right on my lips. I'm in love.

Ryan getting all serious right before the kiss

Finally, on an unrelated note "When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong." (I'm on a Dirty Dancing kick!) So I was wrong about the Bachelor. I could love him. Yes, he's a small man and I'm a big woman but he is classy and I could love him. There I said it. And goodbye crazy crazy Shannon!

Okay--so I promise not to do 1 year post for Dino in a month so as not to lose all my readers!
Unless I change my mind.

19 comments:

Terra said...

that was one of the best posts ever! Those pictures were awesome, love him in the bathroom. He is adorable, I am not sure how you could ever get mad at him, though I am pretty sure his siblings are about to be a little upset with his new found independance and baby explorer habits.

Liz said...

I was always told that the 3rd baby was the easiest, that they just go with the flow. HAH! That was proved wrong with Quinn. I have never had a needier child. Ryan is so adorable. I want some of that fat for my kids...I love the chub. Good luck.

Pandy said...

What is it with dimples??? They make an adorable baby even more
irresistible. I'm sorry about his illnesses. I can relate. Jon had 11 ear infections in his first year. It was horrible for both of us.

Redemption is a beautiful thing!

I'd love to be receiving some of those sloppy kisses from Ryan.

Kelly said...

I can not even stand how cute he is!! I want to squeeze him! You gotta love them getting into EVERYTHING!!!!!I can not even turn away for 3 seconds before Bailey has destroyed something else. I guess we have to appreciate their curiosity and love for "new" things!. We have got to get these two together, they would have so much fun. So he won't take a bottle either? We must talk, this weaning thing is NOT happening! Bailey throws the bottle or cup up against the wall every time I put it anywhere near her. AHHHH

Sam said...

Ryan has redeemed himself. He went from totally geek, to totally chic. Three months ago, I would have considered giving him to a pack of gypsies in exchange for Superbowl tickets. But he has become adorable, playful, and a Daddy's boy. Along with Luke and Sammie, he is the highlight of my day.

Linda said...

You'd better do these picture posts often - even if it's only for the grandmas!! I can vouch that Ryan-Dino is totally adorable!! He is even cuter in real life. Up until now he was a baby that hung on to his babyhood - relished it!
Keep "em coming!

Natalie said...

i love that he's bustin out of his pants! my kids bellies produce the same result.

WHITE said...

He is so cute!!! I don't think there is anything more adorable then a chubby baby!!!

sarahw said...

Ryan is adorable! I guess I never saw him in one of his "moods" or while he was sick, because he has always been an absolute angel when we've been visiting (I DO believe you that he used to be fussy). Keep the pictures coming, he deserves a one year post.

Ashley said...

I LOVE this post. That first picture and the title were priceless. And I can just imagine him going in for the big kiss in that last serious picture. Hilarious. I agree with Sarah that he's never seemed sickly--he's always SO happy and adorable. How dare you threaten to not do a bday post.

As for Jason, he's great, but don't forget that he is the only man you get to watch for those two hours. Sometimes I think that if the girls had a few choices, they wouldn't be interested in the Bachelor at all. Don't get me wrong, Jason is great and I really like his top 5 choices. He's one of the classiest bachelors "in Bachelor history" but I still feel only platonically for him.

The Mostess said...

Please brag on. No one wants to read posts about people's perfect kids...blah, blah, blah. But funny, chubby, mischievous kids?? Blog on!

Any other gems from Dirty Dancing? I'm fairly certain you could have worked in 'go back to your playpen baby!' or 'I carried a watermelon.' Endless fodder, really.

Jill T said...

Go ahead, do a 1 year post, he's adorable! I love the chubbiness too!

Eliza said...

Baby chub is the best! Your Ryan is adorable. This was a great post. I can totally relate to having a baby permanately on my hip, that is now crawling into everything AND lucky for me he's chubby too!

Pandy said...

I'm a firm believer in bragging about your kids - except in those obnoxious Christmas letters - so, bring it on.

If you don't brag about him, who will? Okay, not a great question. I know of at least 10 people who would freely brag about him and Linda would be leading the parade!

Linda said...

Pandy - I am the Grand Master of the bragging parade. I have NO SHAME when it comes to bragging about my grandbabies or my kids. That's just the way it is! Glad you understand.
Brooke

The Mostess said...

K--totally off subject--I am SO IN LOVE with your creamed corn crockpot recipe. I made a batch around Christmas and ate it all. I am "demonstrating" this recipe tomorrow along with my homemade chili for my RS cooking group. Yum-yum!

Thanks for such a tasty dish!! I will cite you as inspiration. ;)

sheryl said...

my pants are unbuttoned all the time and nobody says it is cute! LOL

That is just how Scott was built! I love it! I think you should take a photo of him by the toilet with a bunch of toilet paper all unrolled all around him,...but show his cute face then frame it. I also love the color of that bathroom!

Kimmie said...

We've got to get our 2 chub-a-lubs togther! Oh I could squeeze him. I think Brooklyn may size him up here real soon!???

gwen said...

He is adorable! And yes, with Kimmie's baby and mine, we could have a real party with all of us getting together...on second thought, let's avoid that if at all possible! :-)Speaking of, Sommer is really wanting to have a girl's weekend sometime soon. Interested?