Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gourmet Dinner Night Recipes--Mexican

As I was trolling the internet looking for recipes for my gourmet dinner night, I found a blog called My Kitchen Cafe. This blog was easy to read and everything I made from there was delicious. I got my taquitos, cilantro lime rice and cornbread/honeybutter from this site. I hate websites like http://www.allrecipes.com/ because you never know if stuff is really good. I prefer knowing that the author of the blog has tried everything and liked it enough to put it on her blog.

Here is what I made:

7 Layer Mex-Tex Dip
from my mom

1 can refried beans
1 can frito lay bean dip
2 medium very ripe avocados
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 to 1 full package taco seasonin
3 tomatoes cored and chopped
1 can chopped pitted black olives
1 small can green chilis
grated Monterey Jack cheese

First Layer: Mix refried beans and bean dip together and spread over bottom of pan
Second Layer: Peel and pit avocados and mash with fork. Add salt and pepper to taste
Third Layer: Mix together mayo, sour cream and taco seasoning
Fourth Layer: chopped olives
Fifth Layer: chopped tomatoes
Sixth Layer: green chilis
Seventh Layer: cover with cheese

Refridgerate. Serve with tortilla chips.

Kiwi-Lime Slush

2 cans lime-ade concentrate
1 cup sugar
1 (15 oz.) can crushed pineapple
4 kiwi, peeled and smashed
2 Liters 7-up

Reconstitute the 2 cans of limeade concentrate with 1 cup of sugar, then add enough water to make two quarts. In a blender mix the limeade and crushed pineapple. Add kiwi, Put in Ziploc gallon bag and freeze for several days. Just before serving combine frozen mixture with 2 liter bottle of 7-Up until slushy.

I know this didn't go with the Mexican theme but it's always a hit so I had to serve it.

Baked Chicken Taquitos
makes 14-16

4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used light cream cheese)
1/4 cup green salsa
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 green onion, sliced finely (white and green parts to equal about 2 tablespoons)--I left this out
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I cook large batches of chicken in my crockpot with a little chicken broth and salt, shred it and freeze it for meals like this.)
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese (use pepperjack for a litte heat)

small yellow or white corn tortillas
kosher salt
cooking spray

Heat overn to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

In a medium-sized bowl, mix softened cream cheese, green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

You can prepare this step ahead of time and keep the mixture in the fridge.

Working with a few tortillas at a time, place 3-4 between two damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds, until tortillas are soft and pliable and don't crack when rolling. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of a soft tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up tight as you can.

Place filled taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet, making sure they don't touch each other. When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and lightly sprinkle some kosher (coarse) salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. Serve immediately. Taquitos can be dipped in salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

Cilantro Lime Rice

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups rice
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
juice and zest of 1 large lime
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cumin

In a skillet, melt butter and add rice. Let cook for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Beans-
from Cafe Rio
Why mess with perfection?

Cornbread

1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup milk

Add dry ingredients, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs and milk into the center. Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny--don't be alarmed!) Bake in an 8" square pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9x13 inch pan.

Honey Butter

2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff

Whip all together with an electric mixer and serve at room temperature (can be refrigerated and softened.)

Brandi's Chocolate Bundt Cake
from my friend Brandi

1 package chocolate cake mix
1 package instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup oil
1 small carton sour cream
1 package chocolate chips

Combine ingredients. Pour into bundt cake pan. Bake 350 for 1 hour.
Sprinkle powder sugar on top.

12 comments:

Brandi said...

I feel so proud right now. My cake made your dinner. Wow I feel special.

Linde said...

Looks delicious! Hey, I tried clicking on your favorite recipe, but it wouldn't go to anything. Which salad is it? The spinach with strawberries etc??

I LOVE that bundt cake recipe! It is so good and easy to make!!

Jill said...

Everything sounds so good!

Natalie said...

don't forget to post them on cookbook junkies, too! i can't wait to make it all! super yummy Ü

Ashley said...

I want to make the taquitos and the rice. Great idea about cooking big batches of chicken. Is the cornbread worth making? Is it that much better than the mixes? Honey butter with marshmallow sounds good.

brooke said...

Ashley,

I thought the cornbread was my best item. The honeybutter is divine. You should try it--not that hard.

Linde, I'm going to fix the link. It is to my salad with the bacon and almonds and cheese and oranges.

Ashley said...

Alright alright I'll try the cornbread.

What did you do with the remainder of the marshmallow fluff? I bet Sam made that problem go away . . .

Em said...

Awesome.

I avoid allrecipes.com for exactly the reason you gave. But I also don't do so well at searching out other blogs/recipes online. I like them given to me, as you have done today. So, I thank you!

Your dinner friends are quite the lucky group!

Eliza said...

I'm definately not a gourmet cook, but your recipes look too good to pass up. I might have to give it a try.

Looks like you had a blast. What fun!

The Mostess said...

Yum! Next time throw a little pumpkin pie spice into your whipped butter--it's heavenly.

I love these recipes--most Mexican is gluten-free b/c they use so much corn.

I'm trying those baked taquitos!

alexandra said...

I love recipe posts. I am going to try this!

Lorzzz said...

Sounds awesome. I am definitely going to make this. Thanks for sharing!