Today is my mom's birthday. She is 29 again--funny how that works--She is actually younger than me now. Anyway, She is the best mom in the world and the best grandma and here are 29 things about her.
1. She is the world's biggest shopper. I am a shopper; she even puts me to shame.
2. She is always on the go. She rarely sits down.
3. She loves seafood, especially Lobster. One of her favorite restaurants is Scomas in San Francisco. My mom and dad have this thing they do every time they go there. She'll order salmon or shrimp and my dad will secretly call the waitress over and get my mom the lobster. Then when it comes she acts really surprised. It's painful to watch.
4. She wears Angel perfume. It's her signature scent.
5. She is a fabulous cook and can make amazing low-fat meals.
6. She taught Jazzercise for 28 years. She retired this year after a hip replacement. She still works out every day. She is in way better shape than me.
7. She is the best grandma in the world. She babysits, makes snowmen, gingerbread houses, cut-out cookies and anything else the kids want to do.
8. She took me to a lot of concerts growing up. We've been to Stevie Wonder, Michael Bolton and Cher, to name a few.
9. She loves babies.
10. She is the most generous person I know. This year, she got the name of a little girl off the angel tree at Macys. She went all out getting this girl the cutest coat, clothes, toys, etc. She really took the time to find darling stuff for this little girl.
11. My mom loves sales and getting a good deal. Growing up, I remember going to the Nordstrom sale with her each year religiously.
12. She spends more money at Gap and Gymboree each year than I do. (She spends it on the grandkids!)
13. She drives the biggest piece of shiz Ford Explorer. I only bring this up to show you what a big deal #12 is. She would rather spend on the grandkids than herself.
14. She makes an awesome photo calendar for our family every year.
15. She majored in elementary education and minored in art at BYU
16. She taught first grade before she had kids. When she had my older brother, she quit to stay at home full time and never went back.
17. She is an amazing artist.
18. She loves to travel and has been all over the world. Her favorite vacation spot is Hawaii and goes at least twice a year with my dad. They hope to serve a mission there. (I'm serious!)
19. Everyone always says "You mom is so cute" or "your mom is so sweet." Anyone who knows her loves her.
20. She will always insist on getting the check every time we go out to eat. This happens no matter who we are with or how many people are with us.
21. She likes traditional houses--she hates the timberlodge look in houses.
22. She loves dark chocolate. She taught me that no trip to the mall is complete without a trip to Sees.
23. She always made me feel like I was the smartest, funniest, cutest girl in the world.
My sister Ashley, me and my mom
24. She loves Seinfeld. She will always iron or fold laundry while she watches tv.
25. She also always has a pretty good collection of trashy magazines on hand like "In touch." (Don't kill me for revealing that mom!)
26. She has the cutest decorations for every holiday. She has given me most of my cute decorations.
My mom made this advent calendar when we were kids. Now I have it. Don't be jealous Rex!
27. She hates snakes.
28. My mom always stuck up for me growing up. She wasn't afraid to chew out teachers, people in the ward or anyone else who was mean to me or one of my siblings.
29. To this day, I am totally flattered when people tell me I look like my mom.
Happy Birthday mom! You are the greatest. I hope your day is perfect.