Friday, December 5, 2008

If Mom Says No, Ask Grandma

Luke making a gingerbread house with my mom last year

Recently, my mom was babysitting my kids at TJ Maxx. Yes, that's how it works. Anyway, Luke found a Halloween craft book (after Halloween) he had to have. She bought it for him and he started begging me to make the crafts with him. I called her and told her she owed me a solid for buying him the book--It was the middle of November and I had not the time nor the inclination to make Halloween finger puppets and masks with my 5 year old. I know, I'm in the running for Mother of the Year.

So she had Luke come to her house for a Grandma-sleepover. She first took him to the craft store to get all the supplies. They made five different Halloween crafts and went to McDonalds for dinner. He got to sleep in the fire-engine room. At 7:00 am he was in her grill demanding pancakes and eggs for breakfast. She got up and made them for him. Then he got to use her Christmas bath towels after the tub. He was ecstatic.


Luke with his Halloween mobile and spider

Luke with his egg shell finger puppets

Last night Sammie had her night with Grandma. She made a gingerbread house and Christmas roll-out cookies. She went to Kneaders for dinner (her choice) and slept in the big Princess bed. She also got pancakes and eggs for breakfast.


Sammie with her gingerbread house

That's just the kind of Grandma my mom is. She babysits, builds snowmen, and buys them just about everything in the world. Luke once asked me to buy him something. I said no and his reply was,"that's okay, I'll just ask Grandma."

9 comments:

Liz said...

Your mom is adorable.

Ashley said...

I LOVE every single one of those pics. This post made me homesick. It reminded me of Mom playing playdough with Charlie for long evenings when she was out here. He is already talking about building a snowman with Grandma at Christmas. She is the best mom/grandma.

P.S. Only Mom would be able to do sugar cookies and a gingerbread house in one night. I don't know how the woman can produce frosted sugar cookies in the blink of an eye! I have resolved to not even make them this year (Charlie is young enough to not care). They are too burdensome.

The Mostess said...

Hahaha...those kids have Grandma's number! If any kid (mine or otherwise) was in my grill in the early AM demanding breakfast, I would point them to the cold cereal and the TV remote.

What a nice Grandma. I can't believe all the stuff she did with your kiddios in one single day.

lindsey said...

I love this post. I love Linda. She's amazing! I got to see the grandchildren rooms at the house this summer and I was amazed at all of the thought and work that goes into them.

I agree with you Ash, sugar cookies are too much work. I once added too much baking soda to my recipe and it made me and my dad so sick (we were the only ones greedy enough to eat the raw dough) so now whenever I make them they taste funny. If I were in Utah I'd just "be in the neighborhood" and run over to your mom's house right now!

Amy said...

Aren't grandmas the best. How awesome for your kids. I remember when my kids were little telling me mom that she needed to put her nice stuff up high so they didn't break anything. Her reply was "they can break anything they want. I don't care what they do!" I don't remember that treatment growing up

Linda said...

Thank you EVERYONE!! I don't deserve all the praise. . .I LOVE time with the kids, and I am lucky to be able to do it!
Thank you Brooke, for making me look good! The kids were adorable, and it's not like I have to get up and fix pancakes every day! The funniest thing Sammie said while at my house was, "Gwa-ma, why don't YOU have kids?"

sheryl said...

I felt bad for Ashlely when I read this post. Lucky for her Linda is awsome and goes to CA to visit often! I hope someday I will have grandkids close and can do tons of things with them. I could just steal Noa right now. I just submitted my final paper so I am going to try and post again. I may be calling.

D-dawg said...

I'm jealous. Your mom sounds like the perfect grandma! And she's so cute.

Kimmie said...

I remember you Mom beign just as everyone describes her...the sweetest lady in the world! She would have housed, fed, spoiled all of us ladies and westside boys in a heart beat if we just showed up on her doorstep in college... I just know it! The funny thing is Brookie, you are going to be just like her as a grandma, I can se it already! You and Ashley are just like her, what a great mom you guys have!